Sunday, June 12, 2011

Banana Pudding...cake?

This treat is one of the easiest things to throw together. You really don't need pictures to walk you through - it's that easy. Also - it's PERFECT for those family bbq's. It's inexpensive to throw together and you can make a lot of it!


Now, normally in order for this to still be classified as "pudding" you'll need more pudding than I used. I used one large box of pudding and when I read other recipes they used two small boxes. But I really like how mine came out more cake like, so if you like a cake - follow my instructions, if you like your banana pudding nice and pudding...y, use two small boxes.

What you'll need:

1 Large Box Banana Jello Pudding. (Or two small boxes, see above.)
(Milk to prepare pudding like usual.)
1 Tub Whipped Topping - I used light but really...how healthy can this end up?
1 Box Nilla Wafters - I didn't use the full box - I used about 3-4 handfuls. I also used the mini wafers because they're cute.
3-4 Bananas - ripe
1 Box Yellow Cake or Pound Cake Mix (Oil, Eggs, etc to prepare cake.)



First:
Prepare your cake mix. I used yellow cake mix. I baked it in a large pan for the time recommended and let it cool. While that was cooling I threw the banana pudding together according to the directions. Then I put that in a large bowl and let it cool as well.

After that's cool enough, you'll get out a large bowl. If you have a trifle bowl, that would be perfect. I just used the biggest bowl I have.

I started cutting the cake into cubes -about 2"x2", you can do smaller but that's just how I did it. I layered the bottom of the bowl with cake cubes. Then I began layering whipped cream, nilla wafers, pudding and banana slices. Then repeat. Since the cake cubes were large, I only repeated once. If you cut them smaller I'm sure you'll get more layers and it'll be more esthetically pleasing. Especially if you use a trifle bowl, but since it's just a big ol' bowl, I didn't mind as much.

Cool until you're ready to eat. I made it first thing in the morning and then we had it for dessert so it cooled over 8 hours. And let me tell you - it's DELICIOUS! If you want to eat it off the bat, go for it, I'm sure it's just as good then too!

As you can see it's more of a cake-like consistency than pudding. If you prefer pudding, go for the two small boxes, if you'd like to try the cake way - one big box. And trust me - it's really, really good!




Enjoy!


Linking: see the "I Like To Party" link.

21 comments:

  1. Looks yummy & easy to make! If making for a BBQ, do you know of anything to keep the bananas from turning brown? Lime juice? I'm not much of a baker/cook!

    -caroline @ c.w.frosting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds Delicious. I have all ingredients too. Imagine that. Thanks for sharing.
    Have a gerat day.
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful and easy!! Thanks for sharing!

    Hope you can come see me at http://www.willcookforsmiles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so delicious.
    Thanx for sharing the recipe. I am sure gonna try it sometime

    was hopping by from the creative blogger's hop ,New follower!
    Kyanara from Seeing it creative

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds Delicious! I just added ingredient to my list. can't wait

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so should not have read this post. I love bananas and all things dessert made with them!! Looks yummy!! I am happy to be your newest follower. Please stop by for book club if you're interested--connie, measuredbytheheart.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmmmm looks good! perfect for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yumm, this looks amazing! can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! This looks so amazingly yummy.
    I am going to make this, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got it - it is a banana pudding trifle. There you go! :) I think it sounds delicious the way you made it. Banana pudding is so comforting, plus with a more cake like texture, it sounds even better.

    I popped over from the Show me what you got link party. Glad to have found your blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me at banana pudding, and then I read cake! YUM!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super Cute blog!! :) I am your newest follower! I will definitely be keeping an eye on your blog to learn new things!! If you would like to take a look at my blog that would be wonderful and follow me back! For-The-Luv-Of.blogspot.com Look out for some giveaways also like mineral make-up. I am new to this but excited to share ideas on yummy food!
    Thanks,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds and looks yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing, yum! Found you at Eisly Morgan, Inspired by you Wednesdays. Would love for you to check out my blog, little b .

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm.. This looks delicious!!
    Thank you so much for linking this up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
    Hope to see you again this weekend!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea to turn this into a cake. Yum!

    I hope you'll stop by and share your recipe with Sweet Tooth Friday. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/06/16/midnight-craving-cupcakes/

    ReplyDelete
  17. i'm smacking my lips just looking at the photos! i'll have to give this one a go sometime...thanks for sharing at fridays unfolded...hope you'll be back next week for the summer block party!

    alison
    stuff and nonsense

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks so good! Thanks for linking this to Wicked Awesome Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hey,
    I wanted to thank you for the yummy banana pudding cake idea! I made it for our Fathers days BBQ! I was a hit!
    I love that its nice and simple!
    Thanks! Carly

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love banana pudding! This cake sounds wonderful! Thanks for linking up with me last week!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Thanks for stopping by! Remember: If you can't say something nice - you might end up on My Favorite Hate Mail!