Sunday, May 15, 2011

Little Changes: Paper Doily Stenciling

My current table runner was really boring. I bought it about 2 years ago and eventually turned it over because it was a little more traditional than I wanted. So the plain, beige fabric was all I had. I guess I always had a plan to update it or buy something else but I never got to it.


Then as I mentioned before, when looking for inexpensive craft projects I stumbled upon an awesome idea on Pinterest: Stencil with paper doilies!

So I decided to do that to my kitchen table runner! I really like the finished product!





What you'll need:

1. Paint in the colors you want to use. I used light blue, light green, pale yellow and white. 2. Paint brushes of some sort. These are all I have because a package of them are $.99. If you decide that you want the lines really crisp and clean, I'd suggest a finer point paint brush. (I always suggest that though.) 3. Paper doilies. I bought these at Zurchers but you can buy them at any party store. I spent $3 for both packages. *I'd suggest the metallic finish if you're using them for stenciling. It was much easier than the regular paper. 4. Whatever it is that you're stenciling!

Next...

Because I wasn't entirely sure what I wanted, I did a trial run on a piece of paper. While the dots left leave a pretty pattern, I decided that I needed to stencil outside the line to uphold the "doily" shape. This means an uneven outside line and pattern...for those perfectionists out there...this is where you might want to stop reading.

Next...

I began painting on the runner. I found out that a circular motion got the paint in each little hole well, but I guess it really comes down to the paint brush you use. As you can see, I did go outside the line to keep the doily shape...

Next...

Moving onto the larger paper doily, the circular painting motion wasn't happening, so I dabbed. There are more learning curves coming up so make sure you read all of this before you begin!

Next...

After I was finished with one doily, I moved onto another one leaving the doily where it was to dry, with the intention to peel off when it was completely dry. DO NOT DO THIS. You'll see in a minute.


Next...

Another example of the finished product I left to dry...


Next...

When I started to go back and peel...there was a lot of paper that stayed...and it wasn't easy coming up.


It came off like this big huge mess above.

And then the rest needed to be picked off with tweezers. It was tedious. I did not care for this step. So to avoid this - peel off the paper doily as soon as you're sure you painted it all.


So it looks like this after it's peeled:

Leaving the nice doily shape.

Next...

Repeat...and keep repeating. I used the green, blue, and yellow first and then once they were all dry I painted and overlapped with the white.


If you want you can use a 3rd size paper doily. I only used two but one slightly bigger could have been cute too.



The finished product:


I'm really happy with how it came out. Its really only a small subtle change, but I like it a lot. It's a big step up from the plain runner it was.


So there it is! Another small simple change that doesn't cost a lot. I already had the runner, two of the bottles of paint and the brushes so I only bought two extra bottles of paint and the paper doilies which after tax brought this project to about $6.00. Not bad!


I currently have about 50 extra doilies left over. So I'm sure you'll see those featured in some future project!











Linking up: See "I Like to Party" tab up top!

42 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! So pretty & well-explained too! I would have totally tried to leave the doilies on til the paint dries. I'm thinking wedding table runner. Will be pinning this =)

    -caroline @ c.w.frosting

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. heart my favorite hate mail ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I love how you used dollies your so talented! Did you share this at my link party? I hope so!

    Simply Creations Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks great !! I have a plain burlap runner I have been wanting to do something to...this might just be it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Cute, paper dollies love the idea, gonna attempt to make one myself:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty, pretty, pretty! For some reason the delicate designs reminded me of lichen on rocks. I can't wait to try this myself! I am your newest follower. Come over to Greetings From the Asylum and follow me too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! I love the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would love it if you'd add this to my 20 minute tuesday party tomorrow! It's so cute and fun!
    Tina
    http://sweetfloweret.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty! There are so many great doily projects going around...this is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This turned out so cute! Who would've thought? Please stop by www.laughloveandcraft.com and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is fantastic! I might give this a try for curtains! Thanks for posting! Visiting you from I'm Topsy Turvy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. turned out so good!!! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a great idea. It looks really good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm visiting from the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop!

    I love this! And thanks for sharing the tip about removing it right away, so good to know in advance! It turned out super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cute! Thanks for linking up at Craft and Tell! Hope to see you back next week.

    www.cherishedbliss.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! It's amazing how versatile little old doilies can be!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the colors. This is such a great idea. It really makes a big impact!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is beautiful,and easy! My kind of project! I love it!

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea for a stencil. It looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing at my Swing into Spring party.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Linking up this awesome runner post with us made the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop better and more special. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a creative project, you're so crafty! Thanks so much for linking this up to our Wicked Awesome Wednesday link party!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute idea! I'm a new follower and I can't wait to see more!
    Alisa

    http://asterriskjewelry.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this! So cute. I have everything for this, but my doilies aren't metallic. I will hold off until I get those. Thanks for linking to Thrifty Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great job and way to be creative! I would have never thought to do something like this! I'd love if you'd link up to Sew Woodsy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. VERY cool! I did the same type thing on a tote bag once but I used lace instead.

    http://ashtonscraftycreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. HOW CUTE! amazing what you learn going through the process... especially what not to do. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is such a great idea!! Thanks so much for linking it to Thrifty Thursday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for linking up this week! I'll be featuring this on my blog on Saturday!

    http://sumossweetstuff.blogspot.com

    Sumo:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! The colors look great together and I would never have guessed that the stencil was a paper doilly. I'm a new follower from Thrifty Thursday blog hop. http://www.grandmasguidetolife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is super cute! I love table runners and they (the ones that catch my eye/match my room) are soo hard to find. I don't my imagination would come out as cute as yours...but I may give it a try one day...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. How fun!! I love this!! Thanks so much for linking up :) What a great idea to use for drop cloth....hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your knew table runner is wonderful! I love the colors you chose. It's funny how we learn along the way - I used stencils and Frost spray on a glass and learned the same thing - to go ahead and remove it sooner rather than later! Stopping by from Handy Man, Crafty Woman

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the table runner. Too cute! I wanted to let you know I am featuring this over at Blissful and Domestic today. Stop by and grab a button :>
    www.blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just wanted to let you know that I will feature this super cute table runner at tomorrow's {nifty thrifty sunday}!!
    I hope you stop by, party more and grab a button. :) I would love to see you there!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

    ReplyDelete
  35. That is pretty neat! I'll have to try this "stenciling" with my kids sometime! Thanks so much for linking up to Terrific Under Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is such a cute project!! Just wanted to let you know I'm featuring it today at The Little Birdie! Thanks so much for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. OK, so now we're just following--you obviously have too many awesome ideas to not follow. :) LOVE the doily look--wouldn't it be sweet for Easter stuff?

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Thanks for stopping by! Remember: If you can't say something nice - you might end up on My Favorite Hate Mail!