Sunday, March 17, 2013

Hey - she crafted! Spring Yarn Wreath

I don't know what it was, but I actually decided to do something crafty.  It's the first time in about six months that I've felt the urge to do anything creative.  It must have been the weather.  I decided to make a very springy wreath so I went to Pinterest and found a few tutorials, went to Hobby Lobby and got to work:

 photo YarnWreathCollage2_zps74e2ef7e.jpg
What I bought:

Felt in colors of my choosing
Yarn in colors of my choosing
A styrofoam wreath in a size of my choosing
And some ribbon that would match it all.
I already had the glue gun and glue sticks - note: you'll need a lot of glue sticks.


 photo Supplies_zpsf5f43f4e.jpg

As you can see - I went for the 4-for-a-dollar felt - it's much cheaper this way, especially if you're just making a few felt flowers.  

The nice thing about yarn wreaths is that they're pretty simple.  The idea is to secure a piece of yarn to the back and just start wrapping, over, and over, and over again.  I did two colors but doing just one would be just as simple as well.

 photo wrapyarn_zps234571b3.jpg

Another thing to note: if you're a perfectionist, this may not be the craft for you.  When you're working with a circular surface, there's no way the yarn will lay flat all the way around...it's just not going to happen.
 photo YarnWreathWrapped_zps4857988b.jpg

Once you're all wrapped up, it's time to start on the flowers:

 photo Wrappedflowers_zpsb72f45b1.jpg

Now, I used your run of the mill twisted felt flower that you can find no less than 1200 tutorials on, so I won't bore you with mine, other than to tell you that I did the scallop cut kind as you can see above.

 photo Flowerscloseup_zps71565955.jpg

I made some of all sizes and used my green to cut out simple leaf shapes.  I could have gone into more detail on the leaves, I'm sure, but at this point I didn't care.  Also you've got to stop the madness somewhere, folks.

After that I attached the ribbon and decided to hang it in my window:

 photo Endproduct1_zpse96032b3.jpg


 photo Endproduct3_zpsb1a2d0db.jpg

And done!

 photo Endproduct2_zps13f4733c.jpg

This is the easiest of all the crafts I've decided to take on, but not the shortest, the yarn wrapping is a little mind numbing, so maybe pop in a movie and get comfortable - but after that you'll have a fun little wreath - easy to put just about anywhere!


1 comment:

  1. I've only done one yarn wreath. I really need to do another for spring. Yours is so cute. Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Thanks for stopping by! Remember: If you can't say something nice - you might end up on My Favorite Hate Mail!