I realize pumpkin silhouettes are hardly a novel concept. In fact I had a different idea about it in mind up until I got to the craft store to pick up what was in my head.
It turns out that Hobby Lobby doesn't read my mind so the cute, faded tans & blues with a white pumpkin silhouette were trashed. But I saw the houndstooth paper and thought - why not?
So I made sure I had the following:
1. Plaque/ Frame of your choice
2. Paper of choice
3. Mod Podge
4. Foam paintbrush for mod podge
5. Foam Pumpkin
6. Good knife to cut said pumpkin
7. Paint/ Spray Paint in color of choice
8. Glue for Pumpkin - that holds!
To Begin:
Spray Paint your Plaque/ Frame the color of your choice. If you bought paint - I would just give a couple coats to the outside edges since they're the only ones that will be seen.
Step 2:
Once your paint has dried, you will want to cut your paper of choice so it fits nicely in your plaque/ frame and mod podge/ glue it onto your plaque or place it in your frame. Like so:
When using Mod Podge, I've always noticed that it bubbles like mad. So I stuck a book on there while I waited for it to dry:
Step 3:
Once the glue/ mod podge is dry, give a nice coat of mod podge to the top as well. Unfortunately you can't stick a book on to avoid bubbling.
Step 4:
While you're waiting on your Mod Podge to dry, cut your foam pumpkin as evenly as possible. I used a serrated knife and hoped that it wouldn't just break off into weird angles. Luckily this little pumpkin was pretty dense and cut fine, with a little elbow grease.
Step 5:
Once your Mod Podge has dried completely, it's time to glue your pumpkin on. I have no idea how anyone else gets their pumpkin on, but I know foam stuff never wants to cooperate so I used super glue. Warning: don't glue your finger to itself. It makes crafting kind of hard. Yes - that is from experience.
Stick the pumpkin where you would like it on your frame/ plaque and then while it dries, weigh it down with something. I used my book again. In case you're wondering that's "I am Number Four" by Pittacus Lore.
After your pumpkin is good and dry, remember, it's still foam - don't pick this up by the pumpkin - foam sticks to nothing and no one and you'll be lucky it has some stickiness because you used the strongest glue you could find!
That's it! Simple enough. I am in the process of looking for a picture hanging...thingy to nail into the back so I can display it from a wall somewhere, but for now - it's sitting on my shelf:
I like the color and I like how it can be both Halloween and Fall related. I think it's going by my front door.
Linking up:
See "I like to Party" tab up top













This is SO cute!! What a great idea :) And I happen to love your entire mantel....wonderful!! Stopping by from C.R.A.F.T.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Brooke
http://www.designstashblog.com
Very cute and I love the houndstooth paper and the fact that you put this on a wood plaque!
ReplyDeleteThat's very cute! Looks pretty easy too!
ReplyDeleteSo cute! I love the houndstooth and the 3D aspect of this. My daughters would love this decoration. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great decoration for Halloween! We'd love for you to link this up at our party! http://housewivesofriverton.blogspot.com/2012/09/riverton-housewives-round-up-33.html
ReplyDelete