I've mentioned before that my brother and his wife are expecting a little girl in September. The minute I found out, I immediately began mentally planning all the little fun flower headbands and flower onesies.
Really it just took a matter of getting to the store and buying the onesie. I'm still planning on making a matching headband but that might have to be next Sunday's tutorial. You see, I don't own a sewing machine...and I did this all by hand. As you can imagine this has consumed most of my time the last two days.
So for those of you with sewing machines you can skip some steps and some time, but for those of you doing this by hand - set aside a lot of time...
Ruffle Bum Onesie with Matching Ruffle Flower Collar!:

Aw, my niece will look so cute in this!!!
What you'll need:

1. Fabric of your choice. 2. Scissors. 3. A Sewing Machine...but if you don't have one - a needle & thread. 4. A onesie or whatever you'd like to do this to. 5. Beads/ Buttons (not pictured.)
Next:

Cut a couple strips of fabric. Since I was using broadcloth I ripped a couple strips off. I like the frayed edge. But really it's all about preference.
Next:

You'll begin the "ruffle," by weaving the needle in and out of the middle of the fabric strip. If you have a sewing machine...I hope you know how to accomplish this.
Next:

Keep going until you'll hit the end of the fabric strip. Push it all the way down to the end of the thread so it bunches nicely and you'll be left with a ruffle strip.
Like these:

I decided to go with three ruffles. But really it's up to you.
Next:

Begin sewing the ruffle strips to the onesie. This was REALLY tedious - making sure I was staying on a somewhat straight line...doing it all by hand. But eventually you'll finish with the first ruffle and move onto the second one...

And you'll repeat the process a third time...

This is where I was really wishing I had a sewing machine...
Finished ruffle bum:



Now - onto the collar:
Cut a smaller strip of fabric, except cut the strips to about 6" long. And then begin the weaving again...

Eventually you'll be left with half circles - like this:

These half-circles are easily placed into a circle. I put a couple stitches through the middle to make sure it kept the circle/ flower shape. Then I began sewing them onto the collar:



Once all three were attached I decided they needed something more. Except I could only find two of the same color buttons in everything I had. So beads it was:

I just sewed three clear beads to the middle to give them more of a "flower" look.
Like this:

The finished product:


I'll hopefully finishing the matching headband later on this week. I have a couple ideas of what I'm going to do so check back next Sunday to see what I come up with!
How sweet. I love the orange and white together! Adorable, Jessa!
ReplyDeleteThis is "sew" cute!! My best friend is expecting in August and this would be a perfect gift. Thank you for sharing. Cole
ReplyDeleteSo cute, I love this!
ReplyDeleteThese are so adorable :).
ReplyDeleteVery,very cute!!!
ReplyDeletewww.daughterbydesign.blogspot.com
Popping in from life made lovely! I love this tutorial! I just had a baby girl and will have to try this for cute summertime onesies! thanks!
ReplyDeleteLove it, so cute! The fact that you did it by hand is even more impressive:) Stopping by from Life Made Lovely:)
ReplyDeleteI love this idea! I have a friend who is expecting this summer and this would be perfect! Thanks for the instructions. I'm a new follower visiting from Make Something Monday.
ReplyDeleteThat is super cute. Your niece is lucky to have such an arty auntie.
ReplyDeleteLinking up from take-a-look tuesday.
http://kayaboo.blogspot.com
THIS IS ADORABLE!! I LOVE IT! I'm totally going to make some for my cousin's baby shower next month!
ReplyDeletei love ruffly butts!!! Thanks for sharing at Craft and Tell!
ReplyDeletewww.cherishedbliss.com
I love it. I pinned it for when I have a little girl. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteA mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com
So darling--thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteSo cute! My brother and wife are recently expecting also.... I'll have to wait to see what they're having to know if I can make one of these too!
ReplyDeleteI love this! I plan on making some for my baby soon!!!
ReplyDeleteOh my!! This is so cute and do-able I just might have to give it a try!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.
xo
lynn
LOVE how it turned out! You make it look so easy... hoping to try it!! Great job!
ReplyDeletehttp://jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com/
That is SO cute!! Love it!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday}!
I hope to see you again tomorrow!
xoxo,
Vanessa
I love this!! I love the orange too. I need to try to think more simply when I design. Look around more. Because that onsie is adorable. I would have loved to have someone give me something like that when my little girl was small. Thanks for the inspiration.
ReplyDeleteWould love to invite you to link up this great project at Nothing But Country - Creative Creations link up party. It closes tonight. And we will feature projects on our blog this coming Tuesday and reopen with another party as well. Hope you will join us.
That is so cute, I just love orange. Thanks for linking this up to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!
ReplyDeleteThis is so sweet! Sometimes I find it easier to hand sew some things, including ruffles. Nice job. I love the orange.
ReplyDeleteSo cute! Thanks for sharing at Make Something Mondays!
ReplyDelete~ Sarah
Hello
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to let you know that I have featured you on my blog. Please let me know if you wish for me to remove any content.
Thanks and love your blog
Jennifer
www.eatcraftsow.blogspot.com
It turned out great. Love it!
ReplyDeleteThese are great! I am featuring you this week on Thrifty Thursday! :)
ReplyDeleteI love love love this!! Adorable!! Found your blog today from Reasons to Skip the Housework and boy am I glad I did!! I'm excited to follow your posts!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.sugarandspiceandallthingsiced.com/
Amazing! Someone buy this woman a sewing machine, stat!
ReplyDelete